The WoW alert system is showing that there will be some additional down time this morning in the form of rolling restarts for some servers and an extra four hours of maintenance for many other realms. This is a fantastic opportunity for profit for the opportunistic WoW trader. We’ve previously pointed out some of the ways to make gold from these types of situations. Highlights of opportunities include:
- Less competition- Less players able to log on means less players posting in the AH.
- Weaker competition- Your main competitors may not be able to log in. Use this opportunity to gank the AH and jack up the prices. If this is the case, consider posting for shorter durations under the assumption that the competition will return when technical issues are resolved.
- Expiring auctions- The ‘Monday night effect’ occurs on other days as auctions are due to expire. Look for underpriced bid items and pick the low hanging fruit.
- New content opportunities- As extended and unscheduled maintenance is almost always attributed to new content releases, prepare for the needs of players running that content. Initially expect to sell healing/mana potions, flasks and other consumables and eventually start selling enchantments, enchanting materials, item enhancements and gems and glyphs. This is a classic seller’s market.
- Overcut- Yes, we made that word up. But the concept is simple. If the above point is true and some items are going to sell out quickly than there is opportunity to be had by selling at the top price of a market. If you expect an item to sell out (i.e. there are only several listed of an item that usually moves quickly) don’t for them to sell out and then post yours. Simply price your item at a higher price under the assumption that when the others sell out yours will be the only option left. Fantastic opportunities for this type of market manipulation are currently high-end cloth, select flasks, and our favorite, raw epic gems. Several realm’s auction houses scanned this morning showed only 3-5 raw epic gems in stock instead of the normal 10-20.
- It’s not you, it’s me- In the event that you’re the one experiencing technical issues and unable to log on, ideally you’ve already posted some items in the AH with high prices in anticipation of the downtime. Either way, take this time to brush up on your trading skills by looking through our archives or visiting some of the real world business and trading sites listed on our resources page. In fact, we’ll suggest a few fun articles…
Here are a few favorite real-world business articles from the past few days for your downtime reading pleasure:
- WTF KFC… Really? Really???
- Cash4Gold exposed!
- Ever wonder how long it takes to make a six figure salary?</li>
- So long and thanks for the mess. It was a gas.
- The five stages of panic trading.